Watford 3-2 Wolves: Deulofeu Seals Stunning Hornets Comeback


Gerard Deulofeu’s brace earned Watford a stunning 3-2 win over Wolves, having been two goals down, as Troy Deeney’s 94th minute penalty forced extra time in a pulsating FA Cup semi-final clash on Sunday.

A nervy opening saw both goalkeepers untested, but it was Watford who carved open the game’s best chance when Troy Deeney swung over a beautiful cross from the left, where Andre Gray had stayed onside, only for his dinked volley to beat John Ruddy as well as the crossbar on 32 minutes. That miss proved crucial as Matt Doherty peeled away from his marker at the back post to head in from Diogo Jota’s right wing cross three minutes later.

Connor Coady valiantly threw himself at another Gray effort as Wolves held onto their lead ahead of half time. After being denied early in the second period, Jimenez wasn’t to be thwarted again after 63 minutes, putting breathing space between his side and ​​Watford with a beautifully taken goal. Jimenez excellently controlled a cross with his chest in the box, with that superb control allowing him to volley home smartly.

Deulofeu’s inclusion had the desired impact as Watford continued to press, with the Spanish winger bending a sumptuous effort into the far corner from a stand still position on the edge of the box to set up a tense final ten minutes. The Hornets sealed the comeback in the most dramatic fashion as ​Deeney fired home from the spot in the final minute of added time after Leander Dendoncker tripped the Watford captain in the box.

Deulofeu completed the turnaround 14 minutes into extra time with a low effort beyond Ruddy after a neat give-and-go with Gray. It set up a grandstand finish where Wolves threw everything forward, however the Hornets stood firm to set up an FA Cup final date with Manchester City next month.

A tactical reshuffle at half time was required, but came too late, as they were undone by a piece of magic by the Wolves number nine.

Deulofeu’s inclusion had hoped to spark life into Gracia’s side, moving away from the midfield diamond, with the Spaniard producing the kind of magic his side so desperately needed with ten minutes remaining to give his side hopes of a dramatic finale. It duly arrived, in added time with ‘Mr. Watford’ Deeney forcing extra time with his stoppage time penalty, something their bombardment of the Wolves goal arguably deserved.

Leave a Reply